Amalgam
 

Amalgam

Amalgam dental fillings have been around for nearly 200 years and according to the various dental associations around the world they do not cause any harm to the vast majority of people.  However, you might like to consider the following facts:

The following facts about Amalgam have been extracted from the article ‘Relevant facts about Amalgam’ published by ASOMAT:

  • Dental amalgam is NOT a true alloy. It is made up of 50% mercury, which is NOT locked into a set filling but escapes continuously during the entire life of the filling in the form of vapour, ions and abraded particles. The absorption rate of inhaled mercury vapour is extremely high, approximately 80% of the inhaled dose, a small proportion of which reaches the brain tissue within each blood circulation cycle. The brain is the critical target organ for mercury vapour and methyl mercury and is most significant in cases of chronic low level exposure to mercury vapour. The earliest symptoms of long term, low level mercury poisoning are sub-clinical and neurological. Consequently, due to their subtlety, these symptoms are easily mis-diagnosed.
     
  • The extreme toxicity of mercury is well documented. Current research clearly demonstrates that inorganic mercury is just as toxic as organic mercury under various physiological conditions. Controlled, broad-scale scientific studies investigating the effects on the health of patients of mercury released from dental amalgam fillings have NEVER been conducted.
     
  • Mercury from dental amalgams has been shown to be related to antibiotic resistance in the gut and oral cavity.
     
  • Mercury from dental amalgam will be transported across the breast milk of lactating women and the blood-placental barrier of the fetal blood circulation system. Research shows female dental personnel have twice the rate of infertility, miscarriage and spontaneous abortion than the rest of the population.
     
  • Amalgam fillings have been associated, in the scientific literature, with a variety of problems such as periodontal problems and inflammation, allergic reactions, interference with the immune system, multiple sclerosis, fatigue, cardiovascular problems, skin rashes, endocrine disorders and eye problems.
     
  • The halftime for the elimination of a single dose of mercury is extremely long, certainly at least 30 days for the whole body, and perhaps as long as 10,000 days for the brain. Multiple small doses result in accumulation.
     
  • Human autopsy studies have shown that the concentration of mercury in the brain is directly related to the number, size and age of amalgam fillings in the mouth.
     
  • Claims by the Australian and American Dental Associations that the incidence of mercury allergy is less than 1% have never cited any references. Such claims are totally refuted by the scientific literature.
     
  • Both Health Canada (1996a) and WHO (1991) consider dental amalgam to be the single largest source of mercury exposure for the general public, contributing up to 84% (WHO, 1991) of total daily intake.
     
  • Wolff et al in 1983 stated, "It is generally agreed that if amalgam was introduced today as a restorative material, it would never pass FDA approval".

You can read the full article and site the Bibliography here:



Amalgam